Thursday, March 10, 2005

EVANGELICAL ENVIRONMENTALISTS - Mysterious 100 involved!

Today’s New York Times caption reads “Evangelical Leaders Swing Influence Behind Effort to Combat Global Warming” …

Being an evangelical I was curious, I certainly wanted to know what my “leaders” were up to.

So, reviewing the article quickly, I looked for names of evangelical leaders who share my world-view … conservative, traditional, republican, pro-life, pro-war, pro-Bush, sold-out, born-again, evangelical Christian.

Who I found were …

  • The Rev. Rich Cizik, vice president of governmental affairs for the National Association of Evangelicals
  • Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, Democrat of Connecticut
  • The Rev. Ted Haggard, president of the NAE
  • Rev. Jim Ball of the Evangelical Environmental Network
  • Senator John McCain, Democrat of Arizona
  • Sir John Houghton, a retired Oxford professor of atmospheric physics
  • Dr. Mack McFarland, environmental manager for DuPont
  • And this is all who are mentioned. The article claimed ...

    Those leaders produced a "covenant" in which 29 committed to "engage the evangelical community" on climate change and to produce a "consensus statement" within a year."

    Further, the article indicated a statement was drafted in October 2004, entitled "For the Health of the Nation: An Evangelical Call to Civic Responsibility." The article stated, "Nearly 100 evangelical leaders have signed the statement."

    Also, Haggard is quoted as saying ...

    "The question is, will evangelicals make a difference, and the answer is, The Senate thinks so. We do represent 30 million people, and we can mobilize them if we have to."

    Excuse me? These people are either going to have to quit claiming to represent me or I'm going to have to find new nomenclature for my world-view.

    Thanks to The Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life ...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment