Saturday, March 26, 2005

TERRI SCHIAVO - Easter's reality!

Sometime in the next week we will lose a loved one (perhaps two), someone we have loved at a distance. The object of this love has not been loved up close and personal as we do our parents, our spouses, or our children.


And the love we’ve loved is not an agape type of love, a sacrificial kind of love; nor is it an eros type of love, a sexual kind of love; it is a phileo type of love, a commonality kind of love. Terri Schiavo is a fellow human being, and those of us who see life as sacred have a human connection with her.


America has let Terri and her family down. “How is that?” you ask! In that directly or indirectly we, yes you and I, have created a culture, a society, and a government whose worldviews diminish the value of life and, unbeknown to them, they worship at an altar of death.


I agree there has been too much hypocrisy involved with Terri’s plight … on both sides of the issue; but that is part and parcel of the human condition, isn’t it? And I agree there is too much showboating and opportunism involved with Terri’s plight … on both sides; but that too is the human condition.


However, I also agree with Peggy Noonan and her quandary in today’s Wall Street Journal's Opinion Journal … there is too much intensity in those who want Terri dead? And I, along with Noonan and James Taranto, am wondering where this intensity is coming from?


I am appalled by the misinformation being disseminated by some; but I am more appalled by the inability of some to grasp the greater issue here, especially those who respond to Terri and her family with an ill-informed haughtiness and intellectual dishonesty. It’s disgusting.


Alan Combs on the Hannity & Combs show Thursday struggled to conjure an intellectual proposition and seemed incapable of exhibiting discernable empathy. Others offer legal speak and cerebral-speak ad nauseam, not recognizing at all that this is not about law or reason … it’s about the taking of a human life by judicial edit.


I’ve been blogging for over a month on Terri’s situation; according to those insisting it is time to kill Terri, my recent arrival on the scene makes me persona non grata. They ask, “Where were you ten years ago?” As if I should have been. Specious questions cannot change truth any more than I can change my late entry into the debate.


As an American, I feel a remarkable decrease in the coefficient of friction beneath my feet; I fear for the America my children are inheriting … I fear for my children.


Resurrection Sunday is this weekend, it is sadly interesting that we will commemorate the death of an innocent man by causing the death of an innocent woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment