Wednesday, May 11, 2005

OLD MEDIA - The rise and fall of the LAT!

It is a truism that the print media is in big trouble ... as Hewitt and Limbaugh and others have been saying for a long time ...

I was in a local Albertson's supermarket to pick up some cola and ran into a Los Angeles Times rep (now this guy was no schlock, he was every bit clean cut and professional looking); he was hawking subscriptions from a small dais just inside the entrance. The following is a record of our interaction (I swear):
LAT: Sir, how often do you read a newspaper? (sliding a free daily in my direction)
CRIB: Not ever, anymore! I use the Internet for my news. (suckered I reached for the freebie)
LAT: Okay, but how often do you read the Sunday edition? (quickly writes something on the freebie)
CRIB: I never read the Sunday edition, anymore! I get all my news from the Internet! (pull on the freebie)
LAT: But you can't clip coupons on the Internet! (slaps paper with other hand)
CRIB: (stiffling a laugh) Oh, yes I can! (pulling a little harder at the freebie)
LAT: But that's so expensive! (jerking the paper out of my hand)
CRIB: Dumbstruck!
LAT: Have a nice day, sir! (restacking his freebie)
CRIB: You too! (walk away grinning)
On the way out of the store I stopped back by and said, "I don't mean any offense to you or your paper but I'm a blogger and intend to go back to the office and post on this experience."

He honestly looked at me like I was an AmWay distributor, he half-shrugged his shoulders, and, with a slight squeek in his voice, said, "Have a nice day!" Plaintively he looked at me and seemed to say, "Go away!"

Can anyone tell me how much the LAT's circulation has fallen in the recent months?

See more recent data on circulation decline at the LA Business Journal ... here!

No comments:

Post a Comment