Saturday, May 07, 2005

PREACHING - Making him drink is a horse of a different color!

In general I'm a simple guy, but not easily impressed. Budman over at his hitchin' post has a wise man's take on a subject coursing the Godblogdom lately ... preaching and its affect and effect on transforming people.

So many high-end topics (sanctification, discipleship, evangelism, law, faith, and others) have attached themselves to the original challenge I no longer know what anyone is actually looking for.

Well, Budman helped me get a handle on it. Thanks, Budman!

He says he agrees with my fellow Alliance blogger Brad Hightower (21st Century Reformation) regarding the problem with American believers ... that it is tied in with discipleship. But he goes on to warn against the temptation to become adjunct and pick up the lint of legalism. He says, "let’s not veer off into making the 'living what we preach' a higher priority than it deserves."

I heartily agree. And I love this ...
Even if Christians did it perfectly, they would not be one wit more effective in driving back the darkness in America.
He then argues -- based on four points which I feel are level headed and biblical -- we don't stand a chance.

In fact, where we agree most is here ...
I have yet to see anyone grapple honestly with the fact that God may have already abandoned America to retributive justice and that there is no longer any possibility of renewal. In light of Romans 1:18-32 it may be that the current deplorable conditions of American society and the Church are precisely because God has already closed the door.
I would add that Jesus was dead serious when He said, "apart from Me you can do nothing" [John 54:8]. I think some of the high-church and emerging-church theology I've seen lately on blogs is dangerous. If I'm right, there are not a few threads leading back to my alma mater.

This I believe is the result of some notion we can impress God by our walk ... won't happen! Period!

This is the mistake the Hebrews made in their Exodus and wilderness journeys; they tried to dot every eye and cross every tee to please the God of Israel, rather than admitting they were worms, incapable of ever keeping even The Big Ten. They should've done what we've
all (I hope) done ... thrown themselves at the feet of Jehovah, and beg for His mercy and grace, confessing sin with genuine remorse and regret.

I understand the drive amongst the theological to wax eloquent, I'm guilty of it myself. But the preaching of Christ and Him crucified is what changes people. Budman agrees ...
I repeat my previous statement; until we return to preaching the gospel of the kingdom and clearly explaining what American believers will forfeit if they live fo the sake of wealth and pleasure in this world, and balance that with a clear offer of kingdom treasure, will things be restored.
Oh God forgive Your shepherds for taking the simple Good News and making it something academic ... though sweet to the tongue it is swill to the gut!

No comments:

Post a Comment