Saturday, May 14, 2005

SAINT POPE - Or is it Pope Saint!


I mean no disrespect to my Catholic friends (I know, a Southern Baptist with Catholic friends, sounds like a perfect oxymoron) but this is one area where I have serious problems with Vatican doctrine; the new Pope has ...
... won praise for his decision to break with tradition to begin the process of turning his predecessor, John Paul II, into a saint.

Pope Benedict XVI announced his intention to dispense with the normal practice of a five-year waiting period following the death of a possible candidate, by authorising the start of the process of beatification - the first step to sainthood. ... .

Confirmation of a miracle attributed to John Paul II is required before he can be beatified.
If I remember correctly, I became a saint the day I accepted Jesus' offer of forgiveness and redemption.

And on one other note, some one explain to me why this has the aroma of a really shrewd political and public relations coup? Most popular international Catholic in centuries, conservative policies and practices, and a giant among conservative Catholic theologues ... quickly get him canonized before people forget, strike while the iron is hot, consolidate diverse strengths, partition adversaries, and warm the hearts of millions ... shrewd is the only word I can find!

But tell me, if the Pope is the Vicar of Christ, the highest worldly office attainable by a Catholic, shouldn't one be a saint in order to hold that office ... hhhhmm?

I admit I don't understand a lot of what the Vatican teaches, but if the argument is that one doesn't become a "saint" until after death and a miracle, who was Paul addressing in Romans 1:1, etc.?

I'm sure that Father Jim at Dappled Things can answer these questions for us, I hope he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment