Friday, July 29, 2005

ANGLICAN ANGST CONTINUES ...

...at least in New England. This is hilarious, if weren't so sad. I wished I could have been there.
Connecticut's Bishop Andrew Smith recently made an unannounced visit to St. John's Episcopal Church in Bristol and temporarily suspended Rector Mark Hansen from all of his activities as a priest. With the help of 12 assistants, the bishop dismantled the church's website, hacked into its computers, and gained access to financial records. Smith then proceeded to install a homosexual-affirming female priest as pastor of the parish.
I'll bet the bullying was comical; the shouting and the red faces would have been priceless on my digital.
Canon David Anderson of the American Anglican Council says he has never seen anything like this in his 35 years of ministry. "It appears the bishop has broken perhaps federal law," he observes, and "certainly has gotten into very questionable area in state law. The congregation are what's called 'tenants in possession,' and it appears that the bishop had absolutely no legal right to come in and do what he did."
Excuse me but what about God's commandment, "This is My commandment, that you love one another, just as I have loved you." [John 15:12] Didn't he bend that just a hair?

No comments:

Post a Comment