Wednesday, August 03, 2005

I HAPPEN TO BELIEVE ...

... believers will not remember anything about this life in Heaven. I do so because of the following Scriptures ...
"They will not teach again, each man his neighbor and each man his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them," declares the LORD, "for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin I will remember no more."
Jeremiah 31:34 NASB

For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former things will not be remembered or come to mind.
Isaiah 65:17 NASB

and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.
Revelation 21:4 NASB
These inform my theology in this way:
  • If, upon arriving in heaven, I could remember the life I lived here on earth I would remember sorrow and its meaning; then I would remember to be sorrowful and bawl like a calf looking for its mother
  • If, upon arriving in heaven, I discovered a loved one was not there, I would most certainly mourn as often as the memory assailed me
  • If, upon arriving in heaven, I could remember my sins God, being Omniscient, would know I have; He would then remember them too, violating His promise which He cannot do since He is perfectly faithful and trustworthy
  • Got Questions Ministries equivocates ... sort of ... they say we'll remember the good but not the bad ... our memories will be "cleansed."

    Randy Alcorn, at Eternal Perspectives, believes we will remember it all ... he offers detailed support for his contention ... but I think (unsure at this point) his eschatology is out of sequence.

    Dr. Richard E. Eby, at a site called Bible Probe, seems to feel that we'll have acute knowledge of this past world; at any rate his "sneak peek" experience leads him to think so.

    What do ya'al think about that? Leave me some thoughts!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment