Monday, December 12, 2005

SERVANT DEATH: I WILL HAVE TO BURY ONE OF ...

... my best friends this week.

Quinn Holland will not be added to the Hall Of Faith, but he had what God requires to cross that final Jordan and he had what I require for friendship - a sense of humor, a down-to-earth worldview, and a concern for others. And he was a faithful member of our church for as long as I've been there.


I'll never get the traffic from this post like I did from another servant's death, but I'm not writing this for traffic, I'm writing this for a testimony to a stubborn, immensely likeable, God-fearing, 87 year-old, Korean War Vet.

Quinn died Saturday night after a massive stroke earlier in the day. Just three years ago I had to chastize this stubborn old man for climbing in our "green" barrels to stamp down the yard waste to make room for more. You needed to be there to see this 84 year-old, 110 lb. flyweight jumping up and down in a shaking barrel, four feet off the ground to understand the danger ... he didn't care, there was work to be done at the Lord's House.

Quinn has been suffering from dementia for the last year and would often not know where he was. Many days he woke up and did not recognize his surroundings; he would then try to escape from his own home and "that woman" in the kitchen (his wife Phyllis).

Saturday he was successful. The police found him lying in the street bleeding from the head without ID; they had him airlifted to USC Medical Center for neurological tests 35 miles away. We spent the better part of the day locating him. His wife and I spent the better part of the evening keeping him off life support (his wish) and making sure he was comfortable until he went home to be with the Lord.

We are grateful to God our dear friend did not know what had happened to him, and that he did not suffer at all during his wait on the Lord's departure platform.


; ; ;

No comments:

Post a Comment