Friday, October 13, 2006

BUSH: Book Bashes Beleaguered Bastion of Brambles


I'm not one to jump on when someone is having a rough go of it; but after awhile, when those you support begin to look like a fair-weather friends, I begin to think about it! George Bush is beginning to look like an old suit to me ... or perhaps the return of an old nightmare.
More than five years after President Bush created the Office of Faith-Based Initiatives, the former second-in-command of that office is going public with an insider's tell-all account that portrays an office used almost exclusively to win political points with both evangelical Christians and traditionally Democratic minorities.
There is no doubt this president has been confronted with an inordinate number of issues to confront and dispense with; but those of us who stand in the broad daylight, proclaim our allegiance to the Lord God Almighty, and accept secular leadership positions ... well, we must lead from strength, and leading with a perceived lack of integrity is worse than leading an unchallenged lack of integrity.

According to MSNBC
...
The office's primary mission, providing financial support to charities that serve the poor, never got the presidential support it needed to succeed, according to the book.

Entitled "Tempting Faith," the book is not scheduled for release until Oct. 16, but MSNBC's "Countdown with Keith Olbermann" has obtained a copy.
Supposedly (I've not read the book or seen the interview) ...
span>
"National Christian leaders received hugs and smiles in person and then were dismissed behind their backs and described as 'ridiculous,' 'out of control,' and just plain 'goofy,'" Kuo writes. [...]
He says some of the nation’s most prominent evangelical leaders were known in the office of presidential political strategist Karl Rove as "the nuts."
I picked up word of Olberman's plans via RedBlueChristian in a post by Ron Ballew of Ron's Bloviating and left the following comments ...

RedBlueChristian - Comments (my personal)

Comment 1:
Day by day and moment by moment I am a becoming less and less supportive of this president and his administration.

That is hard to admit considering it touches on someone I loath, KO (can't even bring myself to type his name out).

Likewise to come to this place I am beginning to wonder how many other loathed Donkeys I will have to admit might have been right all along!

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!
Comment 2:
OTH perhaps I'll just end up loathing an equal number on both sides of the political sewer ... a far more palatable option and closer to reality!

It only reconfirms to me that I need to work a lot more on my vertical position and a lot less on my horizontal positions.
[ I don't know what is going on at RBC but my comments are still not up and it's been over three hours now! I think maybe someone has their feathers ruffled over there! ]

"Pastor Dan" at Street Prophets says "Faith-Based Initiatives A Scam" ...
Obviously, these are very serious allegations. Equally obviously, they fit with a pattern of institutionalized corruption evident in the Bush White House and Republican Congresses since the Gingrich Revolution in '94.

These people have governed not quite as a kleptocracy, but certainly on a model of corporate insiderism. You're a friend of the GOP leadership, or you can do them favors, and you're rewarded with taxpayer money. You're not or you can't, and you get bupkus. Some folks will say we shouldn't be shocked by this kind of thing, but I am still surprised by each new low.

That being said, this is not an entirely new story. John DiIulio quit for similar reasons, though admittedly he was less direct - and less well-informed - that [sic] Kuo.
I can't even begin to tell you how this report grates on my nerves ... but I can say it is from several directions simultaneously.

Read Full Article

BLOGGERS BLOGGING:
Crooks Liars
Daily Kos
Groove Machine
Melissa Rogers
Theoblogical

No comments:

Post a Comment