Saturday, April 30, 2005

AMERICAN INTELLIGENCE - An oxymoron waiting to happen!

My friends at the Scostman brought me this little tidbit this morning ...

AMERICAN intelligence agents are convinced North Korea is now able to build missiles that can deliver a nuclear weapon to targets in California.

Defence Intelligence Agency chief Lowell Jacoby told senators that he and other spy masters believe the communist nation has the "capability" to do so, although he did not say whether it had built such missiles or even made the hardware for such a weapon.

One intelligence official said United States agencies judged that a two-stage Taepo Dong could strike parts of the US west coast and that a three-stage version could probably reach all of North America.

I'm an immense patriot of this country and proud of it, as this blog's archives will show; however, in the words of one great American philosopher-icon, Yogi Berra, this sounds like "deja vue all over again."

Everyone in the world has the same reaction to American or British intelligence, "Were you lying to me then or are you lying to me now?" I'm sorry but I no longer have any confidence in our intel services ... and that is a scary thing to admit.

What is even scarier is that so many lefty blogs agree with me ... aaarrrggghhh (e.g., MoJoBlog) while others give just the facts (e.g., Fiskite here and here and here). And consider the fact that it was American intelligence failures that allowed the Japenese to destroy our Navy at Pearl Harbor. What's a poor charter member of the vast right-wing conspiracy to do?

My fallback position is the global benefits of having gone to war against Saddam Hussein ... there are many and they are epochal. Should I then hope we go to war in North Korea and possibly Iran? God forbid. And I still don't trust our American spooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment