Monday, April 25, 2005

LEBANESE DEMOCRACY - Syria is out - or is she?

Scotsman.Com News is reporting the end to a 29 year-long Lebanese headache. As I mentioned in an earlier post we have a Lebanese congregation meeting in our church ... they are ecstatic and have a new joy in their faces. I try to understand what it must be like, but it's not my native land.

The swift withdrawal, a few days ahead of schedule, coupled with last week’s formation of a new Lebanese government after weeks of political deadlock, raised expectations that parliamentary elections will be held on time next month.

I spoke with one of their elders yesterday, about descriptions of the capital, Beirut, I'd been given by a business associate thirty years ago ... he confirmed what I'd heard.

Thirty years ago the capital city was the queen of capitals in the Middle East, now it's a shadow of its former self, "full of rubble and debris," he says. "But we will rebuild her now that Syria is out," my friend laughed. Isn't it ironic how hope makes us laugh in the face of even the most daunting tasks?

My friend and his church family know that not all of Syria has departed ... collaborators and Syrian spooks are everywhere ... but it can't extinguish the hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment