Tuesday, August 16, 2005

WHILE I'M HAVING THIS ...

... sorry excuse for a pity party, let me add something else which troubles me about small church ministry. (NOTE: my comments are not directed toward my present church, but am speaking from experience)

It has to do with that wonderful group of brothers and sisters who visit smaller churches (some call them church-hoppers). They're like grasshoppers on the hunt. What are they hunting for? Unlike the insect, they're not looking for food; they claim they are, but what they're really looking for is another victim. I call these ecclesiavores!

Having convinced themselves they know, with great understanding, everything essential about the faith, they join a small church (usually in need of people). Having done so, they ingratiate themselves with a power-clique or those in desperate need of acceptance ... this can take a couple of days to a couple of months.

Having found their position they find their voice and immediately begin faulting everything under the sun concerning the church they only recently joined. They're especially fond of bad-mouthing the current pastor, not to his face of course. A particularly ferocious variety of this ecclesiavore is the one who happens to have a relative or friend in need of a pulpit.

IF they joined because they liked what they saw and know so much, HOW IS IT THEN they missed all of these problems when joining? IF their concern about church health, proper church polity, and acceptable church decorum is genuine, THEN why didn't they join a larger church or a mega-barn, where they could have a greater impact? Oh, they've already been there and didn't feel called to their fellowship! I see! Indeed, I do see!

ANOTHER NOTE: Since my post yesterday I've discovered a number of small church ministry issues I want to rant about ... so, "Awl be bock!"

No comments:

Post a Comment