Tuesday, June 27, 2006

SUPERMAN: Turning typology on its ear!

The theory is to discover the revelation of Christ in the lives of those in ages past, not the present, and definitely not in secular stories.

I know I'll be seen as a bible thumping fundamentalist for my views here, that's just fine with me. For when it comes to the Messianic image there is only one and that is the image present by the Word of God. Not a movie "hero." Aaarrrggghhh!!!
Though he calls himself a "secular Jew," [Bryan] Singer is keenly aware and appreciative of the Superman-as-Christ-figure mythology that has grown with the character through the decades. And though he didn't necessarily intend to make a "messianic movie," he hasn't shied away from such imagery either, especially in his choice to "resurrect" Marlon Brando's character - Jor-El, father to Kal-El/Superman - from the 1978 classic, starring Christopher Reeve in the title role.

Most tellingly, Singer chose to retain one key line of dialogue from that '78 film, the line where Jor-El tells his son, "Even though you've been raised as a human being, you're not one of them. They can be a great people, Kal-El. They wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all - their capacity for good - I have sent them you, my only son."
Let me warn you, finding human heroes who exhibit the characteristics of Christ is upside down and backwards. If we find the fruit of the abiding Christ in them perhaps, but not the other way around.

What do you think about this? I rushed this post and fear I've not communicated my fears very well. I am thrilled at wholesomeness in movies but messiac messages ... come on!

Read more >>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment