Monday, April 09, 2007

E-PREACHING: Reading "worth reading" Emails Instead of Preaching From the Word!

There isn't a day I don't receive multiple emails from dear friends or acquaintances with the same subject line "Worth Reading."

I've noticed many of these dear friends (and they are dear, sweet people) insist they're "believers," yet well over 50% of them are wholly or marginally ignorant of Scripture. I wonder how they are able to find the time to read these secular-slices.

I've also wondered at the uniform excuse, "It's hard for me to understand the bible" when asked if they read their bibles. Yet they seem to believe their biblical ignorance will protect them from biblical error in these supposedly biblical emails, which are "worth reading."

I've even seen some say, "I know this isn't biblical but it's so cute" or "so funny." There is a
barefaced dichotomy here.

Since I preach from the word, I wonder if preaching from those emails might get more people to stay awake and thereby hear something worth hearing?

Yet the Bible says,
"for faith comes by hearing and hearing comes from the word concerning Christ." Romans 10:17

and "we are saved by grace, through faith" Ephesians 2:8

and "without faith it is impossible to please God" Hebrews 11:6

and "faith is the assurance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen" Hebrews 11:1.

No comments:

Post a Comment