Sunday, January 16, 2005

HIPPOCRATIC OATH - A Philosophy of Death!

The American medical community has been deeply involved in the philosophy of death for almost a century.

Many say the theology of Islam is a theology of death; however, if at the end of the day the tally shows the American medical community has taken more lives than Islam, is it not right to call its guiding philosophy a philosophy of death, not of life?
"I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art." [From classic version of oath]

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:43 PM

    The original Hippocratic Oath also said that doctors should "never use the knife." If surgical procedures had not come about, and doctors went against the Hippocratic Oath, many hundreds of thousands of people would die daily, literally from medical neglect.

    While you conveniently link to the original oath, take a look at this page from the same site.
    "Indeed, a growing number of physicians have come to feel that the Hippocratic Oath is inadequate to address the realities of a medical world that has witnessed huge scientific, economic, political, and social changes, a world of legalized abortion, physician-assisted suicide, and pestilences unheard of in Hippocrates' time."

    ReplyDelete
  2. D__n Anonymous you move around a lot -

    You have a good point. I saw what you mention and deliberately ignored it because it wouldn't upset anyone.

    Seriously, I saw it but I wanted comment on the subject because I wanted to draw attention to the skewing of the medical community's ethics.

    And I'm right; they've adopted an unwritten ethic that promotes a humanist philosophy of life and existence. And it is becoming more and more godless everyday. This does not bode well for the young, the weak, and the elderly in the days to come.

    If you come back I'll give you some links to physicians who agree with me.

    I do agree that the context has changed but the Nova site's explaining away the need for an oath is a strawman, aimed at garnering pity for the difficulty. Where would the world be if everyone who encountered a little difficulty took this approach? Does the name Cain ring any bells?

    ReplyDelete